The Forum

Home Forums New Beverly Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  hornbuckle 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Don’t miss this extremely rare opportunity to see Disney’s excellent, atmospheric live action rarity Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow projected in vibrant IB Technicolor! We have one more screening on Saturday, July 2, at 7:00pm.

By day a country parson, by night the phantom rider! The Prisoner’s Patrick McGoohan is Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow in the rarely-screened cult Disney favorite. A mild-mannered vicar leads a double life as a masked smuggler and secret leader of a notorious band of rebels fighting against the British monarchy, using their stolen loot to help save their impoverished village of Romney Marsh. It’s a fun-filled, thrill-a-minute mix of mystery, eerie atmosphere and heroic adventure, featuring misty moors and moody set design. Plus, you’ll never forget the Scarecrow’s cackling laugh!

The print is 50+ years old but the color is still perfect. I love the magic of Technicolor!

There’s some minor wear and tear at the reel changes but overall this print looks AMAZING!

And those damn masks for the Scarecrow and his gang must have scarred a generation of viewers. That’s probably why this film is so difficult to see.

Glad I took advantage of finally having a chance to see this! I’d been curious about it since the DVD was first announced, as the character looked intriguing and quite creepy for a Disney film. But I guess it got delayed, and by the time it was actually released, it sold out right away and now goes for hundreds of dollars.

The somewhat odd pacing of the film seems to be due to the fact that it was originally intended as a three-part miniseries. The film was quite taut, with never a minute of downtime. Even the courtroom scene (which almost immediately makes me lose interest in nearly any story) was excellent. I’m now curious to see how the whole story plays out with nearly an hour of additional subplot!

I wonder if, in addition to the general creepiness of the characters’ masks, the moral ambiguity plays a role in this title’s scarcity. There is not really a clear-cut good and evil in this, as there is in most Disney films. Even the “good” character is a man of God who has to continually lie through his teeth to cheat and steal for what he believes is justice for his people.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.