>

Somebody Up There Likes Me

In a role originally meant for James Dean, Paul Newman plays famed prizefighter Rocky Graziano in Robert Wise’s hard-hitting biopic about the pugilist’s rise from petty criminal to middleweight champion. Based on the boxer’s autobiography, Somebody Up There Likes Me puts you in the heart and head of a fighter, where the toughest contests are not always in the ring. The film feels intimate, immediate and alive with outstanding performances and Oscar-winning cinematography & art direction. Newman is electric in his star-making performance, supported by an excellent ensemble including Pier Angeli as his wife and Sal Mineo as his troubled young friend. Steve McQueen, Dean Jones and Robert Loggia appear briefly. Print courtesy of the British Film Institute

Somebody Up There Likes Me is a superbly done, frank and revealing film probe of Rocky Graziano, the East Side punk who overcame a lawless beginning to win respect and position as middle-weight champion of the world. Paul Newman’s talent is large and flexible, revealing an approach to the Graziano character that scores tremendously.” – Variety

“Robert Wise’s direction is fast, aggressive and bright, and the picture is edited to give it a tremendous crispness and pace. The representation of the big fight of Graziano with Tony Zale is one of the whoppingest slugfests we’ve ever seen on the screen.” – Bosley Crowther, The New York Times

Ariel Schudson discusses Somebody Up There Likes Me on the New Beverly blog.

Additional Posts