The Forum

Home Forums New Beverly Programming Requests Director Doubles

This topic contains 42 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Binx Bolling 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Would love to see John Carpenter’s The Fog and Price of Darkness at the New Beverly.

Adrian Lyne- Fatal Attraction, Indecent Proposal, Jacob’s Ladder, Unfaithful

Cronenberg- The Fly, eXistenz, Videodrome, Scanners

Lynch- Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, Mullholland Drive, Lost Highway

Adam Green – Hatchet 1-3, Frozen, Digging Up The Marrow

A Stephen Sommers Double of Derp Rising and Odd Thomas

Werner Herzog’s Aguirre and Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans.

Sandy Wilson is a Canadian filmmaker who made two lovely coming-of-age movies: MY AMERICAN COUSIN (1985)and its sequel, AMERICAN BOYFRIENDS (1989). Both in the AMERICAN GRAFFITI vein (CANADIAN GRAFFITI, if you will).

Fran Kuzui is a Japanese-American filmmaker who has directed two features: TOKYO POP (1988) and BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (1992). The former is a LOST IN TRANSLATION-esque romantic-comedy/musical/concert-movie that has never been released on DVD. Trivia: The male lead (Diamond Yukai) appeared in Coppola’s film as the talk show host who sort of terrorizes Bill Murray. Sadly, the effervescent Carrie Hamilton (daughter of Carol Burnett) died in 2002 at the age of 38. She should have been a bigger star from her turn in TOKYO POP.

Marc Lawrence is a writer and director most famous for penning MISS CONGENIALITY. He has directed four films, all featuring Hugh Grant. TWO WEEKS NOTICE (2002) and MUSIC & LYRICS (2007) would be a terrific double bill. In particular, MUSIC & LYRICS deserves some love. The music by Adam Schlesinger is great. Fans of THAT THING YOU DO!, JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS, and CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND should approve.

Jeremiah Johnson & Electric Horseman would be a great Sydney Pollack / Robert Redford double.

Regarding more recent directors, I’d love to see the New Bev do a Tom Ford double bill if Focus can manage to have a print struck for “Nocturnal Animals”. That’s a movie that was tailor made to be screened in 35mm.

Nocturnal Animals ran December into January at Pacific Sherman Oaks 5, a 35mm-only venue.

Silent Mode – the Pacific Sherman Oaks 5 slowly converted to digital last year though I see they’re still playing Ghostbusters so maybe one of their screens is still 35mm only?

How about “savage” and “something evil” by Steven Spielberg? Those films hasn’t been released on DVDs or blu ray, and they’re TV movies and it’s shot and print in 35mm film.

Most TV movies are difficult to screen publicly but that would be a fun double. I like Something Evil a lot.

I was going to put Ted, ted 2 by Seth MacFarlane, but I don’t think it could be perfect as a director double feature.

Paxton Tribute
    Frailty & A Simple Plan

Double Feature of Damien Chazelle:

Whiplash (2014)

La La Land (2016)

::Cohen bros:: Blood Simple (1984) & Millers Crossing (1990)
    ::Sydney Lumet:: Serpico (1973) & Before The Devil Knows Your Dead (2007)
    ::Steve Buscemi:: Animal Factory (2000) & Trees Lounge (1996)
    ::Frank Schaffner:: The Boys From Brazil (1978) & Papillon (1973)
    ::Orsen Welles:: Touch of Evil (1958) & The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)
    ::Allan Moyle:: Empire Records (1995) & Pump Up The Volume (1990)
    ::Roman Polanski:: The Tenant (1976) & Frantic (1988)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.